To My ESL Students at City College of San Francisco:
This podcast features ESL/EFL teachers around the world who have lived and worked in different places in different countries. They compare these different places and might also talk about their cross-cultural experiences.
The grammar points in this podcast focus on “the comparatives and superlatives of adjectives”. After you listen to these teachers' episodes, I would ask you to share with the class about your experiences living and working in different places. You can talk about:
• The air (fresh, clean, dirty . . . )
• The parks (clean, safe, beautiful, big . . . )
• Public transportation (convenient, reliable, dependable . . . )
• The streets (quiet, safe, clean, wide, narrow, busy, steep . . . )
• The buildings (tall, modern, attractive, classic . . .)
• The weather (cold, cool, warm, hot, rainy, snowy, foggy, windy, hazy . . . )
• The people (friendly, nice, polite, honest, happy, hospitable, talkative, healthy, helpful . . .)
• The city in general (large, interesting, exciting, expensive, hilly, ancient, crowded . . . )
You can also use any other adjectives you know for your comparisons.
Please practice using the following in your sentences:
“ ___________ er than _____”
“more _________ than _____”
“as _________ as _________"
“not as _________ as ______"
Also, search the internet and locate the places mentioned in these teachers’ episodes.
Your teacher: Cora Chen
ESL page: http://sites.google.com/site/coraspalette/esl
Tour San Francisco: http://www.inetours.com/Pages/SFHm.html
SFGov has compiled this gallery of photographs for your enjoyment:
San Francisco 3958 Picture Virtual Tour: